Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Nesting

While cutting down some weeds two days ago I came across this.


Last evening I wanted to show it to Friendie, and we discovered two tiny little blue eggs!

Unfortunately this nest is right outside our front door...
in a little hedge row...
where our dog likes to lay.

This morning I glanced over as I walked by and couldn't believe what I saw!
Four eggs in that teeny tiny nest...
and one of them doesn't belong!


And just now I went outside to shoo the dog away...
so I could take this picture!

She obviously isn't going to let a big ole dog keep her from her babies!
(The same big ole dog that sniffed out a dead bird under the window at our neighbor's house this morning...drug it into our yard....and then rolled in it)


7 comments:

Gretchen R said...

O my goodness!! What a treasure! How odd that another bird took over the nest. I'm going to have to show Silje these pictures.

Gretchen R said...

It looks like my second comment didn't post...
I showed this to Silje, and she said "O, that's a cowbird egg. They lay their eggs in other birds' nests and let the other birds raise their chicks for them." She said she read it in a book awhile ago. Smarty pants.

I googled it, and found out she was right. The egg looks identical to a cowbird egg!

Chris said...

Neighbor helping neighbor...even the birdies do it......lol

Lori said...

How fun to follow the progress of the nest right outside your door!

Pat said...

We had a robin's nest with 4 eggs earlier this season and we could see it from sitting on our sofa in the living room....it was a very interesting 27 days from the time we noticed the first egg until the 4 babies left the nest. What fun to have a "strange" egg join your 3 robin's eggs!!!

Joanne Lendaro said...

How Cool!! Keep us posted!

Teresa said...

How fun is that! Don't you wish you could put one of thos live cameras on that nest and watch the chicks come out of thier shells.