Thursday, June 14, 2012

He Is Bringing The Salad

My husband is a runner.
There is a big run this weekend.
Tonight his group of running buddies are gathering to make one of their pre-marathon meals.
He signed up to bring the lettuce salad.

On Tuesday I drove out to our CSA and picked up our share. 
 It provided two types of lettuce, onions, cucumber and turnips for the salad.
The only thing I had to stop at the fruit stand for was a tomato.

Today, in between rain showers, I wandered out to our garden boxes and cut more fresh lettuce and spinach leaves and I pulled up a few radishes.
Wow there was a lot of mud to wash off of every. single. leaf.


I found a dressing recipe in one of my Better Homes and Gardens magazine. (I think that is where I cut it out of anyway).

Red Wine Vinaigrette
Whisk together 1/3 cup olive oil, 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon each Dijon mustard and honey, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.

Wouldn't you know I was out of red wine vinegar...good thing we have a little health food grocer just up the road.  

Well, it took a while to prepare, 
but my husband's salad ended up looking quite delicious.

I wonder what motivated those runners to invite their wives along tonight.  :)