Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Yarn Along

I am attempting to make time for some knitting and reading each day.
Life just seems to get in the way most days.
Today for example...
an unplanned trip to the dentist...
yeah..
I hate going to the dentist. 
Today I decided I need to change my attitude.
My dentist really is a nice guy.
He does his very best to make the experience positive.
So today I say to him...
"I heard the suicide rate is high among dentists."
to which he replied...
"Yes, it is."
Of course I had to ask him,
"Do you feel disliked?"
His reply,
"Numerous times a day I hear how much people hate coming to the dentist....so yes, I do feel that way."
I asked him if he had 'thick skin'.
After a pause, he said he didn't think so.

Then he told me to open my mouth and he would keep the drilling to a minimum.
Hmmm...
it didn't turn out that way.
Was it pleasant?
No.
Did I survive?
Yes.
(Mr. Dentist did apologize for the extended drilling and length of my appointment...he didn't know until he got started the extent of the work involved.)

I sure didn't feel like talking when I got up to leave.
But I wasn't about to let my last words be condemning. 
So I told him, "Enjoy the rest of your day...
and don't let the meanies get you down.

Wow....after that huge sidetrack...
I joining up with Ginny and friends this week.
I am reading a historical novel, which opens on the eve of the Civil War.
Mary Sutter is a brilliant, headstrong midwife from Albany, New York, who dreams of becoming a surgeon.  Determined to overcome the prejudices against women in medicine - and eager to run away from recent heartbreak - Mary travels to Washington, D.C., to help tend the legions of Civil War wounded.

I have just started the book....but so far it is a very good read.

I am also knitting a simple basket weave scarf.
Knit 2, Purl 2 for two rows,
Purl 2, Knit 2 for two rows.

Winter in Minnesota is just around the corner!
Now if I could just learn to knit socks like the pair Christine gifted to me in my previous post....





9 comments:

house full of jays said...

I love your dentist story. I don't like going to the dentist but they sure do get a hard rap.
Your scarf looks very soft and warm. Gotta be ready for winter!

Sam Findlay said...

I feel exactly the same about going to the dentist!
Your scarf sounds lovely and I think I want to read that book, sounds really interesting!

Joanne Lendaro said...

LOVE the dentist story...I like my dentist too, he's a nice guy, but yep I'm sure it's not easy going to work knowing that everyone you see today is someone who doesn't want to see you.

yorkie mom said...

I loved that book!

Terry said...

Love your dentist story! We really like our dentist, but it's still not much fun to go and see him. Thanks for the mention of the book. I love historical novels and I've just now requested this one from the library! :0)

jules said...

I think most of us do NOT enjoy a trip to the dentist. Those poor guys...

I actually crochet but I would love to learn to knit too. Our Wisconsin winters are super long too so I would love more hobbies to fill those long winter nights.

Betty Lou said...

I have a dentist appaointment tomorrow, ugh! I know he has my best interest at heart.

Kattywhompus Primitives said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog Shelia. I LOVE reading about your family and domestic adventures... your photos are beautiful! :)The story about the gentleman buying back his auto harp at auction was so dear and sad. Thanks for the peek into your world.
Blessings to you,
Rhonda

Tracey ~ Clover said...

I am so very glad you stopped by and left a comment. Yes, we have a lot in common, right down to not being fans of going to the dentist! I can only imagine that your winters are brutal! I miss having 'seasons' since moving here to SC. We have HOT, Hurricane, Cool! I love the scarf! xx