Friday, January 21, 2011

Now That Is COLD!!!!

It is cold here in Minnesota.
Really cold.
On days like these I like to remind myself that I have made it through even colder days than this.....and I have.

In the winter of '96/'97 the actual air temperature dropped to -44 degrees.
I was a wise North Dakotan and kept my family safe inside our well heated home.  I remember my digital thermometer stopped reading at -40 and I had to listen to the news to find out just how cold it really was.

But....back in the winter of '83.....we set some records in North Dakota.
It was our first Christmas as a married couple.
We had no children.
Our family was all gathering in Wisconsin.
We weren't going to let a little cold keep us away.
So we jumped into our little Dodge Omni...
and the seats literally cracked....
we had to pour Heet in the gasline to keep it from freezing.....all along the way...
we were YOUNG...
we were FOOLISH...
and the windchill factor was -97 degrees!!!!
Now that, my friends, is COLD!!!!!


4 comments:

Gretchen R said...

Knut and I drove in a blizzard once on our way down to visit family in Arizona. We probably drove 10 mph through the entire state of Nebraska and wasted so much time, but were determined not to stop. Looking back, we think "why didn't we just stop and pay for a stupid motel? We were so stupid!"

Terry said...

It was -9 here this morning and I thought that was too cold! LOL

Carol said...

I miss those early married days of young and foolish. You don't realize it at the time, but to me...it was the best days!!!

Judy S. said...

Brrrrr! The coldest I've ever experienced is -24, the year I left Wisconsin and moved West.