Sunday, January 16, 2011

Not Exactly What I Had Hoped

Well....I didn't get the apron sewed together, but I can report on the bread and soup.
I baked the bread in a covered cast iron dutch oven.....I knew it would make it "crusty", but I thought it was too crusty....I think I will stick to using my clay cooker for my Artisan bread.  If anyone has a tried and true dutch oven bread recipe, I wouldn't mind trying it out.

The soup was simple, but ended up being a wise meal choice.  My daughter's vehicle got stuck in our driveway.  She needs new tires and just couldn't get any traction.  Where are the men when you need them?  She and I worked on getting her out for an hour.....none of the male population that reside at my house had arrived home yet, so she called her very helpful Uncle....who came with another truck driver friend....those professionals had her out of the driveway and on to her job in just a few minutes.....Uncle said, "Why didn't you call me right away?".....good question!!!  Next time we will!!!!
Needless to say, after an hour out in the cold and snow....a bowl of simple soup tasted especially good.
Well....not to Friendie....he doesn't like carrots.

He was glad there was still a bowl of left over pasta.....
and I was glad I got to eat his bowl of soup!  :)

4 comments:

Diane H said...

Both soup and bread look fabulous! I've never tried making bread in my clay baker - sounds interesting.

Donna said...

I did not like carrots at Friendie's age either - with the exception being carrot and raisin salad. Once my mom grated the carrots they were no longer yuckie! The soup and bread look wonderful.

Lois said...

I have a clay cooker but can't find the booklet of recipes that came with it and have wondering if I could use it for bread baking. Guess I had better do a google search and see what I can find. My plan for today is to make soup.

Joanne Lendaro said...

It looks wonderful!! Men are NEVER there when stuff like that happens...murphy's law.